It’s finally here, the first part of the 1.17 Caves & Cliffs update, surprisingly jam packed with a bunch of new mechanics and blocks! We’ll go over a simplified detail list of some of the most impressive new features!
New Ore designs & mechanics!
In addition to new mechanics and blocks we also got a variety of new ores, primarily redecorated for deep-slate but also a couple of new ones!
New “Raw Iron/Gold” mechanic
This new mechanic is pretty major, instead of getting “Iron Ore” you get “Raw Iron” which is affected by Fortune, when Fortune is used you can get multiple “Raw Iron” and the smelt rate for “Raw Iron” to Iron Ingot is 1:1 – so basically you get a lot more iron and gold now!
Amethyst & Geodes
A new underground geode was added that contains Amethyst, similar to something in modded Minecraft they’re found underground in a geode like shape!
New cave lighting & deep slate
Caves now have “Glow Lichen” which gives ambient light to caves which is pretty cool, no more pitch black caves now they have some detail to them. In addition near bedrock we also have Deep Slate! This is the start of the new layer that’s coming to the second update!
New Light Source: Candles
Candles are the latest light source added in this update and can be stacked much like turtle eggs up to 3 additional times after the initial candle is placed, increasing the light it provides. These candles can be lit with a flint and steel.
New Tinted Glass Mechanic
Similar to dark glass in modded Minecraft this new tinted glass blocks out light while allowing you to see through the block, it’s great for mob farms!
New Mob: Axolotl & Underwater rails!
We’ve been graced with the presence of the Axolotl, these cute underwater creatures are super curious and a great addition to any base aquarium! Along with that Minecart rails now work UNDERWATER, crazy right?
New Lightning Rod Mechanic
Ever had your wooden house struck by lightning and set a-blaze? Well thankfully there’s a way to mitigate that now with lightning rods, they’ll redirect any lightning within a radius and prevent it from hitting the ground and igniting!
New Mob: Goats!
Goats are another new mob added with this update, while cute you might want to be-careful as they ram almost anything including other friendly mobs.
Complete list of additions and changes!
Now that we’re done with the highlights here is the full list of additions and changes to Minecraft 1.17 Caves and Cliffs part 1!
- Added Dripstone Block and Pointed Dripstone
- Added Block of Amethyst, Budding Amethyst, Amethyst Cluster, and Amethyst Bud
- Added Block of Raw Iron, Copper, and Gold
- Added Candles
- Added Copper
- Added Deepslate
- Added Glow Lichen
- Added Lava Cauldron
- Added Lightning Rod
- Added Lush Caves Block
- Added Powder Snow
- Added Raw Copper, Raw Iron, and Raw Gold items
- Added the Axolotl
- Added the Glow Squid
- Added the Goat
- Added Spyglass
- Added Tinted Glass
- A Shulker hitting a Shulker with a Shulker Bullet can make a new Shulker
- Additions to Wandering Trader and Mason trades
- Bundles and Shulker Box items will drop their contents when destroyed
- Changed Infested Block destroy times
- Changes to Shipwreck and Mineshaft loot
- Dirt Paths (formerly Grass Path) can now be made by using a Shovel on Dirt, Podzol, Mycelium, or Coarse Dirt (as well as Grass)
- Drowned now has a chance of dropping a Copper Ingot, and they no longer drop Gold Ingots
- Experience Orbs now sometimes merge when in large quantities to improve performance. This does not change the rate at which the player can absorb them, it simply limits the amount of separate orbs floating around in the world. Orbs that merge will gain the lifetime of the most recently created one.
- Holding down the space bar now increases the scroll speed in the credits
- Minecarts and Rails work in water
- Particles now appear when Pistons break blocks
- Reordered some blocks in the Building Blocks Tab in the Creative Menu
- Reordered the Redstone Tab in the Creative Menu
- Simple Firework Rockets with one Gunpowder can now be crafted using the recipe book
- Added “Whatever Floats Your Goat!” for floating in a boat with a Goat
- Added “Wax on” for applying Honeycomb to a Copper block
- Added “Wax off” for scraping wax off a Copper block
- Added “The Cutest Predator” for catching an Axolotl in a Bucket
- Added “The Healing Power of Friendship!” for teaming up with an Axolotl and winning a fight
- Added “Glow and Behold” for making a Sign glow
- Added “Light as a Rabbit” for walking on Powder Snow with Leather Boots
- Added “Surge Protector!” for having a lightning strike a Lightning Rod near a Villager without setting the area on fire
- Added “Is It a Bird?” for looking at a Parrot through a Spyglass
- Added “Is It a Balloon?” for looking at a Ghast through a Spyglass
- Added “Is It a Plane?” for looking at the Ender Dragon through a Spyglass
Some of the more technical patch notes are as follows:
- Added /debug function
- Added /item command
- Added lightning_bolt sub-predicate
- Added looking_at condition to player sub-predicate
- Added passenger, stepping_on and lightning_bolt properties to entity predicate
- Added source condition to effects_changed trigger
- Added started_riding, lightning_strike and using_item advancement triggers
- Added a metric cube of light
- Added a new NBT tag for entities, named “HasVisualFire”, which will cause any entity with this flag to visually appear on fire, even if they are not actually on fire
- Added F3+L shortcut to generate and persist performance metrics from in-game
- F3+L on single-player worlds will also include reports for the integrated server
- Added gamerule playersSleepingPercentage (100 by default), which sets what percentage of players that must sleep in order to skip the night. Setting it to 0 will mean one player is always enough to skip the night. Setting it above 100 will prevent skipping the night.
- Added item modifiers, which will reuse loot table functions syntax to describe item modification in /item command
- Added loot table function set_banner_pattern
- Added the Marker entity
- Buttons that change value (like Difficulty) can now be controlled with the mouse wheel
- Clicking on a button that changes the value while holding the shift key changes to the previous value
- Data pack version is now 7
- “Debug” world type can now be accessed while holding the alt key (was shift)
- Entities are now saved separately from terrain chunks
- Expanded block field on block predicate to blocks
- Expanded item field on item predicate to items
- GUI narration now includes position and usage of hovered or focused elements
- Loot tables can now access scoreboard values by UUID
- OpenGL 3.2 core profile
- Perf start/stop command on dedicated servers will now generate and persist server performance metrics
- Removed /replaceitem
- Removed debug report command (use perf start/stop for server performance measurement)
- selector and nbt chat components can now configure separators between elements
- Servers can also display a custom message on resource pack prompt
- Servers can now require custom resource packs to be accepted
- The ‘/give’ command can only give up to 100 stacks of items at a time (e.g. 6400 stone or 100 iron swords)
- The default mode of structure blocks is now Load. Data is now hidden (but can be accessed by clicking the mode button while holding the alt key)
- The maximum length of item names in the Anvil UI has been increased from 35 to 50
- The maximum size that Slimes can be summoned with is now 128
- The pack format in version.json has been split into data and resource versions
- The Resource pack version is now 7
- Upgraded to Java 16
- Values inside random number generators can now be nested